For a long time I have been struggling to keep focus on my work. I get easily distracted by things around me. Many times I deliberately distract myself with binge watching TV shows, YouTube videos or just researching whatever online. It is easier to do those things than work on my projects. There is no fear of failure, feeling inadequate in my knowledge and skill. Maybe you ask yourself if I somehow managed to overcome this and found something to help me focus. Well, I think I did.
It is nothing groundbreaking and I am sure you know it as well. But in case you don't, these are the practices helping me keep my focus and fight the distractions.
- Keeping my desk clean. Ideally having only the thing required for the work I need to focus on.
- No phone on my desk. I have hardly any notifications on but it can still be distracting at times. So I sometimes turn on “do not disturb” as well.
- If you can, turn off internet or use software that limits access to certain websites.
- Turn on instrumental relaxing music. I am very fond of music. Especially instrumental. It helps me focus, relaxes me and drives my creativity.
- Brew a cup of coffee or tea. Again same as with music.
- Take regular walks outside or at least sit for a moment on a balcony without any digital devices. Just be present, breathe and enjoy nature. I do not have the best view from my balcony, as I live in the city, but I still enjoy looking at clouds moving by and feeling fresh air on my skin.
- Work everyday on strengthening my will power and never forget to refill it during the day (walks, hot beverage, food, ...).
I am not perfect and I do not intend to be. Even though I struggle every day with keeping my focus and not getting distracted easily, I am proud of myself every time I am able to overcome it. Small steps are all we need. Do your best and do not give up. That is all there is to it.
I hope I helped you in some way. If you have any suggestions or want to share your story with us, please do.
Have a wonderful day. :)