It is not long ago when I was deeply consumed by protecting my privacy online. At times it went to the extremes of mild paranoia. It took some self reflection and reality check to realise there is no need, in my case, to go into so much trouble protecting myself online. I am not a public figure. I am not famous or rich nor I intend to be. I am regular person with desire to live good life. So in my case extreme privacy is overwhelming and unnecessary. All I need is some common sense to be semi-private in online world. Here are some tips that I use:
- Use unique strong passwords for each account stored in password manager.
- Using VPN or other similar form of protection in public places, such as coffee shops.
- Using common sense in navigating online space.
- Not sharing much personal information online – I see no point in it anyway. Sharing knowledge is of course something else.
- If there is no need, ex. work and building audiences for such work, do not use social media. If you use it, use it wisely.
- Use private browsing and clear your history regularly.
- Separate work and personal account on your device. Maybe even create special one for banking and so on.
- Do not visit shady websites and create account on every site possible. Pick and choose which are worthy of sharing information about yourself.
- If the link in your email looks suspicious, do not click on it. If it is from an service provider you use, rather check you account on their official website and messages there.
As you can see, everything is more or less around being wise in navigating online world. Common sense is all most of us need to be private- and safe-enough.
What steps do you use to be more private and safe online? Share it with me and other readers. We can all learn from each other.
Have a wonderful day. :)
P.S.: I may update the post with more useful tips.