S20 RESET Meeting 5: The History of Science and Technology
Wednesday, February 12, 2:00 PM, Fischbach Seminar Room, Folsom Library (2nd floor)
- Last meeting:
- Privacy vs. convenience: Is it actually a trade-off or do we just think it is
- Loss of privacy as a consequence of corporate structures
- Should we expect everyone to read the terms of service and be a “fully informed consumer”. Does this shift the onus to the individual, not the company
- Why should people care about privacy?
- People shouldn't have to justify caring about privacy
- People might not always have “nothing to hide”
- Lack of privacy is fine for those who benefit from the status quo but what about those who don't.
- Availability v. accessibility
- Collection –> Prediction –> Manipulation –> Collection
- This meeting:
- Guest lecture by Professor Brian Callahan from the ITWS department on the history of science and technology. Science and tech's relationship with power structures.
- Q&A and group discussion to follow.