Boring Tools Till – First Drawer Done—Starting on the Second
Started out today by cutting down the drawer holding my Fisch auger bits. They only need a single level, and the added space will give me room for runners for the drawer above them.
Next up, the small drawer that will hold my long brad-point bits.
When I drilled the smaller holes for the brad points, I broke through the end of the box (intentionally). So today it was time to fix that up. I glued on (with hot hide glue) a spare bit of edge-banding to cover the holes and protect the brad points.
Since it was hot hide glue, I didn't really need to clamp at all, but the clamps made it easier to take the curl out of the edge-banding.
And now the small drawer is done. Time to give it some runners to ride on. I cut a couple pieces of oak, and tacked them into the till, spacing them the thickness of a scrap above the drawer below them.
And a little over a half hour later, I figured the glue was “set enough” to test the fit.
Yep. That'll do.
Time for the next drawer. This will hold my old set of (mostly) Russell Jennings auger bits. I made wooden holders for the largest bits.
And then reused one of the metal clips from the (broken) box I got the bits in to hold the smaller bits. Plus I added a small handle I had left over from something else so I could lift this tray of bits out.
Again, hot hide glue put the piece of plywood into the end and set up quickly enough that I could continue working, rather than having to wait for the glue to dry.
So that's two drawers fitted out.