Random thoughts and such. Photos. Birbs. Woodworking. Recipes. Miscellany.

Curry shrimp with Anne Amie Dry Riesling.


  • ½ cup chopped onions
  • ½ cup chopped celery
  • ¾ pound carrots, cut into half-inch cubes
  • ¾ pound potatoes, same
  • cup of frozen peas
  • 13 oz can of coconut milk
  • pint jar of Jon’s awesome yellow curry
  • pound of cooked, frozen shrimp


  • Carrots, taters, onions and celery get sautéed in oil for about 10 minutes
  • add peas, coconut milk and curry sauce, bring to a simmer
  • simmer for 10 minutes, then add frozen shrimp
  • bring back to a simmer
  • serve over rice

#recipe #IAteThis

Northern Flicker, hiding from the wind in our portale.

On windy days, the northern flicker who hangs out in our neighborhood will fly up to the corner of our portale, and cling to the stucco wall, right near the roof, getting out of the wind. He seems to like the spot, as he’ll spend hours there.

It can be disconcerting if one of us heads outside, though. He gets frightened and takes off, and we almost always get surprised by the sudden movement. Sorry, buddy.

#photography #birb

Made some enchilada sauce the other day, and my sweetie wanted to know what went into it, so here’s the #recipe before I forget.


  • 1 qt tomatoes, fresh or frozen
  • 2 chilies, pulled off the ristra, seeds removed
  • 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon roasted chicken flavor
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • pinch salt
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika or ½tsp liquid smoke


  • Throw everything into a blender, and blend until smooth.
  • Put into a pan, and simmer until it’s reduced down to about a pint (by half)
  • Enjoy

Every morning (except Mondays) I walk to the mailbox to pick up the mail that was delivered the previous evening.

There’s a fence on the Berm Path that I take home from the mailbox to keep cars, motorcycles, and mostly horses from using the path.

A couple weeks ago, I picked up a couple rocks that had been sitting on the path, and set them on the fence.

Most every morning, I either add a new rock, or rearrange the ones that are already there.

Lately, someone else has been adding rocks, as well.

It seems we’ve got something of a community art installation going. I wonder who my mystery co-artist is.

Even on days when there isn’t any mail, now I’ve got something to look forward to on my walk to the mailbox now.

I wonder how long we’ll keep it going.

At least a few more days...

#photography #NewMexico #rock

A bowl turned from birch.

This is the third bowl I turned, and the second made of birch. I managed to get the sides a little thinner, and the bottom thinner as well. I almost avoided tear-out on the end-grain sides of the bowl, only using the bowl gouge, but there was a little, so I sanded to clean things up.

The bottom of my third turned bowl

Turned this one in a single session in the shop. Maybe three hours total, including cutting it octagonal on the bandsaw, mounting it on the plate, cutting it free, and using the belt-sander to take off the last nubbin on the bottom.

It’s a little over 5 inches in diameter, and about 1-¼ inches tall.

Side view of my third turned bowl

Six coats of shellac, with some light sanding with 400 grit between the fourth and fifth coats. I’m trying to decide if I should pull out my French polishing kit and try to really put a nice finish on it, or whether this is good enough.

Thanks for looking!

#woodworking #woodturning #bowl

Birds in the juniper

This morning, my sweetie noticed a couple bluebirds sitting in the juniper by our corner. I got out the camera, and noticed there’s also a house finch sitting lower in the foliage. Cute!

#photography #birb

We went out this evening to look at some of our neighbors’ Christmas lights. There are a couple pretty spectacular displays. We’ll be looking for more over the next couple weeks, too.

#photography #lights

A cholla cactus in its winter purple, silhouetted against a clear blue sky, with snow on the arms.

I had mentioned before that chollas turn purple in the winter around here. There’s one on the way to the mailbox that is more purple than any other I’ve seen, so I grabbed a picture of it this morning. Should’ve reached past it to get the other weed out of the picture, but I didn’t want to get footprints in the snow. Maybe tomorrow.

#photography #NewMexico #cholla

Raven on top of a post

While waking up this morning, we heard a knocking on the roof. There were a couple ravens doing something up there.

One of them flew over to the top of the post holding the birdhouse and proceeded to eat something. Not sure what it was.

Raven on the ground

Then a couple other ravens started flying around, and the one from the birdhouse flew to the ground to finish his meal in peace.

Three ravens in a juniper

Once he was done, he flew to the juniper in our yard, where he was joined by another raven. And then a bird one flew up and there was a bit of a scuffle before all three of them flew off to somewhere else. It was fun to watch them.

#photography #birb

Turned birch bowl, side view

I made a second bowl today, mostly concentrating on making the bottom of the bowl thinner, as well as the sides.

Turned birch bowl, top view

The bowl is about 5 inches in diameter, and about 1¼ inches tall. The bottom is between ¼ and ⅜ inch thick, and the sides are slightly less than ¼ inch thick at their thinnest.

Turned birch bowl, bottom view

It’s not perfect, but I feel like I’m getting better every day, which is a nice feeling.

#woodworking #woodturning

Enter your email to subscribe to updates.